The New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety reports that the the most important pedestrian safety message for New Jersey residents is: Pedestrian Safety is a Shared Responsibility. There is no one cause of crashes involving pedestrians. Pedestrians and motorists must both do their part to keep pedestrians safe.
As of April 1, 2010 motorists must STOP and remain stopped for pedestrians in a crosswalk. Additional information can be found on the following information card.
Check out our latest Pedestrian Safety PSA!
- Always cross at corners, within marked crosswalks where available.
- Look left, right and left again before crossing. Watch for turning cars.
- Obey traffic signals, especially “Walk/Don’t Walk”.
- Remain alert! Don’t assume that cars are going to stop.
- Wear reflective clothing when walking at night.
- Stay sober. Walking while impaired greatly increases your chances of being struck.
- STOP for pedestrians in a crosswalks. Failure to stop carries a $200 fine and 2 point license penalty (39:4-36).
- Watch for pedestrians when turning right on red.
- Obey speed limits.
- Do not block or park in crosswalks.
- Keep your windshield clean for maximum visibility.
- Be alert for pedestrian at all times.
- Cross at intersections only.
- Never cross from in-between parked cars.
- Before crossing, look left, right and left again and listen for traffic.
- Wear light colored or reflective clothing at night.
- If there is no sidewalk available, walk as far off the roadway as possible on the left side of the road, facing oncoming traffic.
- Obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Avoid playing in driveways or on sidewalks near roadways.
- Walk on sidewalks and cross only at corners, within marked crosswalks.
- Wear bright-colored or reflective clothing, especially at night.
Look left, right and left again before crossing and be on the lookout for turning vehicles.
- Make eye contact with the driver before crossing in front of a vehicle.
- Learn the proper use of “Walk/Don’t Walk” signals.
- Use the buddy system. Walk and cross with others when possible.
- If possible do not walk at night of during bad weather such as snow, rain or ice.