What We Do


Inspections of retail food establishments are conducted on an annual basis. The inspections are to determine compliance with Chapter 24 (N.J.A.C. 8:24), as well as with local ordinances and regulations. Based upon the inspection a posting is given to the facility in one of the following categories:

  1. Satisfactory Rating (white placard with black border) – The issuance of a Satisfactory posting reflects overall compliance with sanitary regulations and the existence of only minor violations needing to be addressed by the next annual inspection.
  2. Conditionally Satisfactory Rating (yellow placard) – A Conditionally Satisfactory posting is given when an establishment contains violations of a nature not deemed to be an immediate threat to health. The establishment is given a maximum period of thirty days to address the violations and is subject to a re-inspection to determine if compliance has been met.
  3. Unsatisfactory Rating (red placard) – The issuance of a Unsatisfactory rating denotes violations deemed to be and immediate threat to public health. The establishment is requested to voluntarily close to immediately address the violations. If the establishment refuses to comply, immediate court action is initiated to close the establishment until all violations have been corrected.

Investigations are conducted relating to reports of food borne illnesses and general food relating complaints. Inspectors also conduct laboratory sampling of hazardous foods (egg salad, tuna salad, etc.) to assure food safety. Classes are also offered to retail food establishment personnel to teach methods of safe food handling. The classes are offered by the Union County Health Officers Association. For information, contact the Cranford Health Department.


Anyone can process an environmental complaint by contacting the Department at the main telephone #  (908) 709-7238 and filing the appropriate information to process the complaint.

Once a complaint has been filed, an inspector is assigned the complaint to verify the conditions alleged and process either an advisory notice or a formal notice of violation if corrective action is indicated to abate the nuisance.

Environmental complaints encompass but are not limited to the following categorical areas:

  1. Air Pollution
  2. Garbage/Rubbish/Solid Waste
  3. Hazardous Waste Spills
  4. Housing Violations
  5. Insects
  6. Lead Poisoning/Exterior Lead Paint
  7. No Heat
  8. Noise
  9. Potable Water
  10. Ragweed/Poison Ivy
  11. Rodents
  12. Sewage/Septic
  13. Water Pollution
  14. Unsanitary Conditions
  15. Misc. Complaints


New info to be posted for one (1) and three (3) year dog licensing and one (1) year cat licensing.


A FREE rabies inoculation clinics is held to provide vaccination for dogs and cats. For information relating to free rabies clinics to other municipalities, please refer to our link.

Proof of rabies vaccination is required prior to obtaining an annual dog or cat license. All of the municipalities within the jurisdiction of the Health Department provide for the licensing of dogs and cats on an annual basis. Information on obtaining a animal license can be obtained by contacting the Cranford Health Department at 908-709-7238 or 908-709-7225.

In addition to rabies clinics, the Department investigates reports of animal bites. Animals suspected in biting either other domesticated animals or humans, are placed under quarantine to monitor their health to assure rabies was not  present.


Registrar–Joan Holler, CMR

Deputy Registrar–Monika Koscova-Jencik, CMR

Copies of Birth Certificates, Death Certificates, and Marriage Certificates may be obtained in the municipality or by mail where the event occurred. Cranford requests $10.00 per copy – cash or check is acceptable. If paying with cash please have exact amount. Checks are made payable to the Cranford Health Department. For acceptable forms of ID please Click here.

Please keep in mind when requesting a record through mail copies of identification is suitable. Don’t send original documents.


To schedule an appointment please call 908-709-7238 and ask for Registrar.

If you wish to obtain Certified Copies of Vital Statistics documents, you must supply proof of relationship that establishes that your are: a) the subject of the record, b) the subject’s parent, legal guardian or legal representative, 3) the subject’s spouse/civil union partner/domestic partner, child, grandchild or sibling (if legal age), 4) a State or Federal Agency for official purposes, 4) pursuant to a court order. If you wish to obtain a Certified Copy of a record:

Marriage Application – An application for marriage requires the following:

Application is made in the municipality in which the male or female resides, or if neither party resides in New Jersey, the couple applies in the municipality where the marriage will take place. The Marriage must take place in the State of New Jersey.

At the time of application the couple must bring:

  • Witness over the age of 18 that knows both parties.
  • Proof of residency (for Cranford resident).
  • Proof of identity, which includes 3 forms of ID for each person. At least one of the forms needs to have a picture ID.
  • Driver’s License
  • Social Security Card (number required for application)
  • iii.    Passport
  • Birth Certificate
  • Lease, Tax return, etc.

The couple also should be able to supply the planned date and place of the ceremony (name and address of person performing the ceremony).

If either person has been previously married, a copy of final divorce papers, annulment papers, or death certificate needs to be present for application.

There is a 72 hour waiting period from the time of the application until the time of issuance. Please allow an ample amount of time before ceremony occurs to obtain your license. Once the license is issued it is valid for 30 days.

The fee for a marriage license is $28.00. The couple can pay by check or cash. If paying by cash please bring exact amount. Checks are to be made out to Cranford Health Department.

For a Certified Copy Application please click here.

If you cannot locate the information you’re looking for or have any additional questions please call or email the Registrar.


Child Health Clinics are normally conducted as needed on an appointment basis. The clinics are staffed by a Pediatrician and nursing and health education staff.

The clinics provide children, between the ages of birth and six years old, immunizations, health examinations, growth charting, health educational programs, and nutritional counseling at no cost to the families attending the clinics. The clinics are open to residents of all the municipalities covered by our Department. For information on registering for the clinics, contact Marlene Dolan, RN at (973)593-3079.


Seniors may avail themselves of the various screening programs offered by the Department ranging from Blood pressures screenings, to diabetes screenings, and blood testing assays conducted as a part of the various Health Day programs conducted throughout the year.

In addition, each fall the Department offers Flu vaccinations to residents at risk within our jurisdiction.

Information on each months current Departmental programs can be obtained by consulting the Event Calendar section of this website.


All public swimming pools are inspected to determine their compliance with applicable State and local regulations. Pool inspections cover general pool safety, water quality, and chemical storage as well as various other components relating to the safe operation of a public pool.

Water quality laboratory analysis are submitted by the pool operators for review by our staff on a weekly basis throughout the pool season.


Health education programs are conducted in coordination with chronic illness programs, operation of the child health clinic and as stand alone programs covering a wide range of program areas.  Organizations that may want to schedule a Health Program on a specific topic may contact the Cranford Health Department at 908-709-7238.


Animal control services covered in the following services:

  1. Pick-up of stray domestic animals.
  2. Pick-up of injured and ill wildlife.
  3. Pick-up of dead animals on public property / streets.
  4. Transportation of specimens suspected of having rabies are delivered by a carrier for the New Jersey Department of Health Laboratory.​
  5. Enforcement of animal humane regulations.
  6. Assistance with animal census and enforcement of local licensing ordinances.



A & S Sanitation

P.O. Box 702 Cranford, New Jersey 07016908-889-4262

Grand Sanitation

P.O. Box 359 Scotch Plains, New Jersey  07076


Midco Waste

11 Harmich Road S.Plainfield, New Jersey 07080908-561-8380


P.O. Box 209 Garwood, New Jersey 07027908-232-7494

Waste Management

1232 North Avenue Plainfield, New Jersey 070621-800-371-7329

Ferreira Carting LLCPO

P.O. Box 708 Clark, New Jersey 07066908-209-0021

DeLuca Disposal Solutions

2496 Plainfield Ave. Scotch Plains, NJ 070761-844-335-8221